I don’t know one person who doesn’t wish they had more energy. I mean, how many cups of coffee do you need to make it through the day? Sure, the caffeine from coffee can give you an immediate boost of energy but that artificial energy can distance people from their natural energy rhythms. Excess caffeine also goads the adrenal glands into releasing stress hormones, like adrenaline and cortisol, that can put the brain and body into a panic like state. I am proud to say, I am no longer a daily coffee drinker and have turned to healthier alternatives like Matcha Green Tea and Genuine Health’s Green+ Extra Energy to help me get through my busy days.
Rich in antioxidants, phytonutrients, probiotics and standardized herbal extracts, the change in my energy level during the day has been absolutely mind blowing since integrating Greens+ Extra Energy formula into my daily routine. So why is Greens+ so effective and can it actually replace coffee in your diet? The answer is absolutely. The kick you will experience from both the Kola Nut (which contains naturally occurring caffeine) and Taurine will give you 100% energy, 0% crash plus the benefits of 23 hand selected ingredients proven to bridge nutrient gaps in your diet.
Although working out is important, I truly believe that an alkaline diet is the foundation for optimal health. For me, sticking to alkaline forming foods such as; leafy green veggies, fresh fruit, quinoa, green tea, hemp, goat’s milk, chia seeds, flax, EVOO, anything coconut and almonds, has dramatically improved my health condition. Even if you already have a good diet, eating foods that will alkalize your body will not only increase your energy but also boost your immune system, balance pH levels, support mood/cognitive function, improve digestive health and much more.
There are 3 easy ways to take Greens+ 1) Shake with water 2) Mix into smoothies 3)Add to recipes. I actually LOVE the taste of Greens+ Extra Energy just on it’s own with water but I also toss a scoop into a smoothie an hour before a workout. This Peachy Green Smoothie is smooth, creamy and will keep your tummy satisfied until your next meal.
1 frozen Banana
1 cup frozen peaches
1 scoop Greens+ Extra Energy Orange
1 tbsp almond butter
1 1/2 cup of water, or liquid of choice
Directions: Throw everything into a Vitamix or blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
This year I have decided to grow my squad and bring Kristen Vander Hoeven to the team. An old friend, fitness fanatic, fellow foodie obsessed with health and who is currently completing her culinary degree at Toronto’s George Brown College. I recently spent the day in the kitchen with KVH and she showed me some new ways to enjoy Greens+ Extra Energy with my Paleo diet. Here’s Kristen’s take on two easy and energy enhancing recipes:
Paleo Greens+ Muffins
If you’re like me, you love eating a LOT of crap that’s not good for you, so it’s become a great passion of mine to figure out alternative methods to satisfy my cravings. For those of you who eat Paleo, know know it’s exactly that. These little babies are not only delicious, good for you and Paleo friendly (I know…you’re welcome). Even though baking paleo may seem intimidating – it’s actually not. Trust me…I suck at baking and I attempt it all the time. Once you learn a few tricks (like a room temperature egg will actually change your results) it’s not that bad and super rewarding. I mean…the fact that I could eat 10 of these and still feel good is pretty damn awesome.
Here’s the ingredients you’re going to need….
1 tablespoon Greens + cappuccino green supplement
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Dash of Cinnamon
4 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
3 large eggs
3 large egg whites
2 tablespoons of organic maple syrup
1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste
Preheat your oven to 325°
1. In a large bowl combine your Greens + Energy powder, coconut flour, cocoa powder, and cinnamon. Its a good idea to put your dry ingredients through a sifter to eliminate any clumps in your mixture.
2. Once you’ve combined your dry ingredients, add your coconut oil and egg whites. Combine with mixer, then add 3 whole eggs, maple syrup and vanilla bean paste. If you do not have vanilla bean paste, vanilla extract will work just fine.
3. Grease your mini muffin tray with coconut oil, ghee or a grass fed butter. Fill each tin to the top. Bake for 8 minutes, or until muffins are firm to touch. Check every 1-2 minutes. You can try poking with a skewer, if it comes out clean you are good to go.
Greens+ Natural Orange Energy Balls
I could literally eat these balls all day – everyday. They taste exactly like raw cookie dough which takes me back to when I was a kid and would beg to lick the batter bowl. Now that I am an adult, and care about my health, and the size of my thighs…I try to avoid doing things that make me sick 🙁 These balls are perfect. I recommend eating them frozen, it makes each bite last longer. Ideal for pre/post workout or during lazy day Netflix marathons. The only problem you will have is not having enough…probably a good idea to double this recipe.
Here’s the ingredients you’re going to need…
2 1/12 Coconut oil (the hard stuff, not the liquid)
2 tbsp Cashew butter
1/4 cup Maple syrup
1/2 tsp Vanilla bean paste (vanilla extract will work as well)
1/3 Scoop of Greens + orange powder
1/2 cup Rolled oats
1/3 cup Almond flour
1tbsp Hemp hearts
*To coat your balls (I realize how bad that sounds) use a 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut shavings
Photography by Jilly Botting
1. In a medium size bowl combine your wet ingredients with a mixer until smooth (cashew butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla bean paste).
2. Once mixture is creamy add the rest of your dry ingredients.
3. After all your ingredients are combined, clean the sides of your bowl with a spatula and bring your mixture together. Place your bowl in the refrigerator for 5-10 min or until your ingredients are firm. If you are in a rush and cannot wait for mixture to harden, no worries. Proceed with rolling out your balls and keep a bowl of cold water on hand to keep your hands semi clean in between balls.
4. Place your raw balls into shallow dish of unsweetened coconut shavings to give them a light coating.
5. Keep the balls in the freezer.
We could go on and on about the benefits of Greens+ and really there are countless ways you can incorporate it into your day. What had started with just one formula variant (Original), Greens+ has now expanded into an entire category, and probably most arguably Genuine Health’s most lucrative products. With formulas created specifically for detoxing, healthy skin, kids, to build strong bones, for those with food sensitivities/allergies and much more; there’s a Greens+ for every need. For the meantime, we are hooked on the Extra Energy formula which is available in Natural Orange and Cappuccino flavours and also comes in convenient tablets. For more information on any of the above mentioned products within the Genuine Health family or to find additional recipe inspiration head to GenuineHealth.com.